For the last decade, I have worked as a research scientist in the field of human genetics and genomics. Currently, I’m a principal investigator for the Institute of Genomic Medicine at Nationwide Children’s Hospital. We use next-generation DNA sequencing technologies to uncover the genetic basis of inherited diseases such as age-related macular degeneration, cancer, and diabetes.
I’ve co-authored over 70 publications in Nature, JAMA, and The New England Journal of Medicine, and other journals. You can read more about my work and the impact of next-generation DNA sequencing at Massgenomics.
Sci-fi & Fantasy Writing
I write novels and short stories in the fantasy & science fiction genres. My debut novel THE ROGUE RETRIEVAL, about a Vegas stage magician who takes high-tech illusions of magic into a medieval world that has the real thing, was published by Harper Voyager on March 1st, 2016. The sequel, currently entitled The Island Deception, will be published in February 2017. I’m represented by Paul Stevens of Donald Maass Literary Agency. See my books page for details.
Other Writing Credits
- My short science fiction story “Going Viral” was in the Spring 2015 anthology The Time It Happened, and selected for Third Flatiron’s Best of 2015 collection.
- My short military sci-fi story “Dirt Moon” was published in the HYPERPOWERS anthology, edited by Bascomb James.
- My short fantasy story “Rooks” has been accepted by Stupefying Stories, and will be published in 2016.
- My short dystopian story “Coming of Darkness” is forthcoming in Galaxy’s Edge magazine.
- I’ve written non-fiction articles for Apex Magazine, Clarkesworld, and other SF/F publications.
I’m a member of the Critters.org online workshop and the Codex writers community. I’m also the host of #SFFpit, a twice-yearly Twitter pitching party for authors of sci-fi/fantasy who are seeking representation or publication. For details on my short stories, novels, and writing activities, please visit the main writing page.
Bowhunting & Outdoors
Every October, I disappear into Missouri’s hardwood forests to hunt things (deer and turkey) with bow and arrow. Read more about my archery, woodcraft, and hunting exploits at In Search of Whitetails.
Let’s Keep In Touch!
If you’ve read this far, we probably have something in common. If you join my mailing list, I’ll send you occasional updates (once or twice a month) of my blog posts, #ScienceInSF articles, and writing news.
Follow me and you'll never miss a post: