For 15 years, I have worked as a research scientist in the field of human genetics and genomics. Currently, I’m a principal investigator for the Institute of Genomic Medicine at Nationwide Children’s Hospital. We use next-generation DNA sequencing technologies to uncover the genetic basis of inherited diseases such as age-related macular degeneration, cancer, and diabetes.
I’ve co-authored over 70 publications in Nature, JAMA, and The New England Journal of Medicine, and other journals. You can read more about my work and the impact of next-generation DNA sequencing at Massgenomics.
Sci-fi & Fantasy Writing
I write novels and short stories in the fantasy & science fiction genres. On the fiction side, I’m best known for Gateways to Alissia, my epic fantasy trilogy about a Las Vegas magician who infiltrates a medieval world. I’m also the lead writer of a serial for Serial Box to be released in 2019. Finally, I’m the editor of Putting the Science in Fiction, a nonfiction reference for writers to be published by Writer’s Digest in October 2018.
I’m represented by Paul Stevens of Donald Maass Literary Agency. See my books page for details on all of my writing projects.
Other Writing Credits
- My short science fiction story “Going Viral” was in the Spring 2015 anthology The Time It Happened, and selected for Third Flatiron’s Best of 2015 collection.
- My short military sci-fi story “Dirt Moon” was published in the HYPERPOWERS anthology, edited by Bascomb James.
- My short fantasy story “Rooks” has been accepted by Rhonda Parrish for a forthcoming anthology.
- My short dystopian story “Coming of Darkness” was published in Galaxy’s Edge magazine in 2017.
- I’ve written non-fiction articles for Apex Magazine, Clarkesworld, Outer Places, and other SF/F publications.
I’m a member of the Codex writers community and the host of #SFFpit, a twice-yearly Twitter pitching party for authors of sci-fi/fantasy who are seeking representation or publication. For information on all of my writing activities, please visit the main writing page.
Bowhunting & Outdoors
Every October, I disappear into Ohio’s hardwood forests to hunt things (deer and turkey) with bow and arrow. Read more about my archery, woodcraft, and hunting exploits at In Search of Whitetails.
Let’s Keep In Touch!
If you’ve read this far, we probably have something in common. If you join my mailing list, I’ll send you occasional updates (once or twice a month) of my blog posts, #ScienceInSF articles, and writing news.
Follow me and you'll never miss a post: