Dan Koboldt is a genetics researcher and fantasy/science fiction author from the Midwest. He is the author of the Gateway to Alissia series (Harper Voyager) about a Las Vegas magician who infiltrates a medieval world. He is currently editing Putting the Science in Fiction, (Writers Digest), a reference for writers slated for release in Fall 2018.
Dan works for the Institute for Genomic Medicine at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, where he and his colleagues use next-generation DNA sequencing technologies to uncover the genetic basis of pediatric diseases. He has co-authored more than 70 publications in Nature, Science, The New England Journal of Medicine, and other scientific journals.
Dan is also an avid hunter and outdoorsman. Every fall, he disappears into the woods to pursue whitetail deer and turkey with bow and arrow. He lives with his wife and three children in Ohio, where the deer take their revenge by eating all of the plants in his backyard.
- E-mail: author (at) dankoboldt [dot] com
- Telephone: Area code three one four, then 467-0454
- Postal Mail: 700 Children’s Drive, #WB2151. Columbus, OH 43205 USA
- “Going Viral” (short SF story) appeared in Third Flatiron Publishing’s anthology, The Time It Happened.
- “Rooks” (short fantasy story) will appear in Stupefying Stories (TBD).
- “Dirt Moon” (short SF story) appeared in Hyperpowers edited by Bascomb James.
- Eye-based paternity testing and other human genetics myths. Apex Magazine, issue 72.
- 7 things to know about mutations. Fantasy Scroll Magazine, issue 7.
- A whirlwind tour of the human genome. Fantasy Scroll Magazine, issue 8.
- The Next Generation of DNA Sequencing. Clarkesworld Magazine, issue 108.
- Quirks of the Human Genome. Clarkesworld, issue 113.
- We Are All Allies. SFWA blog, March 2016.
- The Near-future of Human Genome Engineering, Baen.com, March 2016.
- See also: Research publications.
200px wide 300px 500px
|Sleight of hand… in another land.Stage magician Quinn Bradley has one dream: to headline his own show on the Vegas Strip. And with talent scouts in the audience wowed by his latest performance, he knows he’s about to make the big-time. What he doesn’t expect is an offer to go on a quest to a place where magic is all too real.
That’s how he finds himself in Alissia, a world connected to ours by a secret portal owned by a powerful corporation. He’s after an employee who has gone rogue, and that’s the least of his problems. Alissia has true magicians, and the penalty for impersonating one… is death. In a world where even a twelve-year-old could beat Quinn in a swordfight, it’s only a matter of time until the tricks up his sleeves run out.
200px wide 300px 500px
|What happens in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas. But what happens after you step through a portal to another world, well…For stage magician Quinn Bradley, he thought his time in Alissia was over. He’d done his job for the mysterious company CASE Global Enterprises, and now his name is finally on the marquee of one of the biggest Vegas casinos. And yet, for all the accolades, he definitely feels something is missing. He can create the most amazing illusions on Earth, but he’s also tasted true power. Real magic. He misses it.
Luckily–or not–CASE Global is not done with him, and they want him to go back. The first time, he was tasked with finding a missing researcher. Now, though, he has another task: Help take Richard Holt down.
It’s impossible to be in Vegas and not be a gambler. And while Quinn might not like his odds–a wyvern nearly ate him the last time he was in Alissia–if he plays his cards right, he might be able to aid his friends. He also might learn how to use real magic himself.
Dan Koboldt has been featured in the Columbus Dispatch, The St. Louis Business Journal, and 97.1 Talk Radio. He has written for numerous online venues including Tor.com, The Mary Sue, Outer Places, Terribleminds (Chuck Wendig), The Qwillery, and SF Signal. See the events page for a comprehensive list.