Dan Koboldt is a genetics researcher and fantasy/science fiction author from the Midwest. He works for the Institute for Genomic Medicine at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, where he and his colleagues use next-generation DNA sequencing technologies to uncover the genetic basis of pediatric diseases. He has co-authored more than 70 publications in Nature, Science, The New England Journal of Medicine, and other scientific journals.
Dan is also an avid hunter and outdoorsman. Every fall, he disappears into the woods to pursue whitetail deer and turkey with bow and arrow. He lives with his wife and three children in Ohio, where the deer take their revenge by eating all of the plants in his backyard.
- E-mail: author (at) dankoboldt [dot] com
- Telephone: Area code three one four, then 467-0454
- Postal Mail: 700 Children’s Drive, #WB2151. Columbus, OH 43205 USA
- “Going Viral” (short SF story) appeared in Third Flatiron Publishing’s anthology, The Time It Happened.
- “Rooks” (short fantasy story) will appear in Stupefying Stories (TBD).
- “Dirt Moon” (short SF story) appeared in Hyperpowers edited by Bascomb James.
- Eye-based paternity testing and other human genetics myths. Apex Magazine, issue 72.
- 7 things to know about mutations. Fantasy Scroll Magazine, issue 7.
- A whirlwind tour of the human genome. Fantasy Scroll Magazine, issue 8.
- The Next Generation of DNA Sequencing. Clarkesworld Magazine, issue 108.
- Quirks of the Human Genome. Clarkesworld, issue 113.
- We Are All Allies. SFWA blog, March 2016.
- The Near-future of Human Genome Engineering, Baen.com, March 2016.
- See also: Research publications.
Here are selected interviews, guest posts, and online appearances Dan has done to promote The Rogue Retrieval. See the events page for a more comprehensive list.
- Pitch Wars interview on Brenda Drake’s blog (October 28, 2015)
- Guest post on perseverance at Red Sofa Literary (November 12, 2015)
- Cover reveal challenge at Suvudu (November 19, 2015)
- Mind Meld panel on writing inspiration at SF Signal (November 25, 2015)
- 5 Geeky Sci-fi Technologies at On Starships and Dragon Wings
- My Favorite Bit at Mary Robinette Kowal’s blog
- Awesomesauce Author Interview at Dannie Morin’s Left to Write
- Official on-sale announcement at Harper Voyager Books
- Impulse Buy of the Day, with Liana Brooks
- The Science in SF guest post at Pub Hub
- Debut Author Interview at the Qwillery
- My Worst-kept Secret blog post at MassGenomics
- 5 Things I Learned at Chuck Wendig’s Terribleminds
- World-building: Seven wonders of Alissia at the Harper Voyager Books blog
- Disturbing Questions, an interview with A.F.E. Smith
- Writing Gender-Swapped SFF, a guest post at The Mary Sue