Welcome! On this page, you can learn about my upcoming events as well as past appearances.
Here are some of my upcoming author events and activities.
- July 2017: Finishing book #3, The World Awakening
- August-September, 2017: Brenda Drake’s PitchWars (co-mentoring with Mike Mammay).
Here are events and appearances from the past few months.
- July 2, 2017: Feature article in the Columbus Dispatch
- July 2, 2017: Book signing at The Book Loft of German Village
- June 9, 2017: Interview on books, genetics, & Okja at Outer Places
- April 29, 2017: Table at The Book Loft for Indie Bookstore Day
- April 20, 2017: 5 Things About The Island Deception on Chuck Wendig’s Terribleminds
- April 18, 2017: My Favorite Bit guest post for Mary Robinette Kowal
- April 11, 2017: Release day for The Island Deception.
- April 11, 2017: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on Reddit Fantasy
- April 10, 2017: My favorite meal guest post at Lawrence Schoen’s Eating Authors
- April 10, 2017: The Portal Fantasy Is Not Dead, an essay at the Qwillery
- April 10, 2017: Interview at Insecure Writers Support Group
- March 27, 2017: Fantasy author panel, Westerville Public Library, Columbus, OH.
- October 27-30, 2016: World Fantasy Convention in Columbus, Ohio. Read my blog recap.
- September 14, 2016: .
Here are some places I’ve appeared (online or in person) in the writing community. See media coverage for a complete list of media mentions and reviews.
I enjoy being interviewed about writing, science/sci-fi, or really anything that tickles someone’s fancy.
- Ask Me Anything (AMA) author discussion on Reddit Fantasy.
- What Books Inspired Us the Most, a multi-author interview hosted by James Aquilone at SF Signal.
- Awesomesauce Author Interview at Dannie Morin’s Left to Write
- Debut Author Interview at the Qwillery
- Disturbing Questions, an interview with A.F.E. Smith
- Radio interview on 97.1 FM NewsTalk in St. Louis for the “Max on Movies” show.
Essays and Articles
I enjoy contributing (paid) articles about genre fiction, the publishing industry, and of course, the science for sci-fi authors.
- Chimeras in science and fiction, a discussion of human-animal chimeras and how we make them, at Baen.com.
- We Are All Allies, a post on the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) blog.
- 3 lessons for fiction writers, a post on the National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) blog
- Writing Gender-Swapped SFF, a guest post at The Mary Sue
- Six Quirks of the Human Genome article in Clarkesworld Magazine, issue 110
- Eye-based paternity testing and other human genetics myths in Apex Magazine, issue 72.
- 7 things to know about mutations in Fantasy Scroll Magazine, issue 7
- A whirlwind tour of the human genome in Fantasy Scroll Magazine, issue 8
- The Next Generation of DNA Sequencing in Clarkesworld Magazine, issue 108
I’ve had the privilege to write guest posts for other sites and members of the writing community.
- 5 Things I Learned while writing The Rogue Retrieval, at Chuck Wendig’s Terribleminds
- World-building: Seven wonders of Alissia at the Harper Voyager Books blog
- My Favorite Bit about The Rogue Retrieval, at Mary Robinette Kowal’s blog
- 5 Books About Snarky Magicians guest post on Tor.com.
- Writing Standalones Sci-fi, at Michelle Hauck’s blog Michelle4laughs.
- One Mentor’s Journey guest post at Brenda Drake’s blog.
- The Science in SF guest post at Pub Hub
- 5 Geeky Sci-fi Technologies at On Starships and Dragon Wings
- Hard Numbers from PitMad on Brenda Drake’s blog.
- What I’m thankful for on Brenda Drake’s blog.
- Getting the call, a guest post on the blog of Michelle Hauck.
- What I learned about writing from bowhunting, for Kate Heartfield’s “Unlikely Influences” series.
- Twitter pitch tips and #SFFpit, a guest post at Sub It Club.
Several podcast hosts have been generous to host me on their shows. Here are some of my recent appearances:
- Science and Fiction on the Beyond the Trope podcast.
- Pitching Contests on the Beyond the Trope podcast.
- Writing Book 2 on the Beyond the Trope podcast.
- Interview with Mur Lafferty on the I Should Be Writing podcast.
- Technology and Optimism on The Kingdoms of Evil
- Authorial Self-Indulgence (with Tex Thompson) on The Kingdoms of Evil
- Dragons! (with Tex Thompson) on The Kingdoms of Evil
I’m comfortable at public speaking, and have served in panels about both science and science fiction.
World Fantasy (October 2016 in Columbus, OH)
- I Believe I Can Fly with Curtis Craddock, C. E. Cooney, and Alan Smale
- An Aviary of Beasties with Auston Habershaw, E. J. Stevens, Susan Shell Winston, and Rajan Khanna
- How George R. R. Martin Has Changed Fantasy with Ginjer Buchanan, Betsy Dorbush, Christopher Husberg, and Rob Howell
- Read my blog recap.
Archon 39 (October 2015 in St. Louis, MO)
- Technical Tall Tales: Strange and Frightening Tales of the Lab with Jordin Kare, Benjamin Kinney, H. G. Stratmann, and J. D. Streett
- Websites for Writers with Julia Mandala and Guy Anthony De Marco
- Big Things on the Horizon: New Tech and Scientific Discoveries with H.G. Stratmann and Benjamin Kinney
- How Do You Figure That? Scientific Methodologies with Jon Voisey, Jack Glassman, and Michael Benjamin
- The First Five Pages: How to Hook Your Reader with Claire Ashgrove, Shawntelle Madison, and Eddie Wilson
Archon 38 (October 2014 in St. Louis, MO)
- Genetic Engineering: Tinkering with the human body with H.G. Stratmann and Michael Baugh
- Portal Fantasies: Across time or space with G.P. Ching, Mark Tiedemann, and Kasey Mackenzie.
- Publishing in the Digital Age with G.P. Ching and Trudy V. Myers.