Welcome! On this page, you can learn about my upcoming events as well as recent past appearances.
- October 4-6, 2018: Panel and signing at New York Comic Con
- October 16, 2018: Publication of Putting the Science in Fiction
- October 16-19, 2018: American Society of Human Genetics meeting
- October 18, 2018: Author panel at Mysterious Galaxy (San Diego, CA)
- November 1, 2018: National Novel Writing Month
- March TBD, 2019: Anticipated release of my top secret project with Serial Box
- Interview on books, genetics, & Okja at Outer Places
- Genetics, research, and science in sci-fi at Insecure Writers Support Group
- Ask Me Anything (AMA) author discussion on Reddit Fantasy.
- What Books Inspired Us the Most, a multi-author interview hosted by James Aquilone at SF Signal.
- Awesomesauce Author Interview at Dannie Morin’s Left to Write
- Debut Author Interview at the Qwillery
- Disturbing Questions, an interview with A.F.E. Smith
- Radio interview on 97.1 FM NewsTalk in St. Louis for the “Max on Movies” show.
- How movies get mutation and evolution wrong, a column at Outer Places
- Tips for Writing A Trilogy guest column at Writer’s Digest.
- The Value of Critique Partners guest post at the NaNoWriMo blog
- How science fiction predicted the future of genetics, a column at Outer Places
- The Portal Fantasy Is Not Dead, an essay at the Qwillery
- Chimeras in science and fiction, a discussion of human-animal chimeras and how we make them, at Baen.com.
- We Are All Allies, a post on the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) blog.
- 3 lessons for fiction writers, a post on the National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) blog
- Writing Gender-Swapped SFF, a guest post at The Mary Sue
- Six Quirks of the Human Genome article in Clarkesworld Magazine, issue 110
- Eye-based paternity testing and other human genetics myths in Apex Magazine, issue 72.
- 7 things to know about mutations in Fantasy Scroll Magazine, issue 7
- A whirlwind tour of the human genome in Fantasy Scroll Magazine, issue 8
- The Next Generation of DNA Sequencing in Clarkesworld Magazine, issue 108
- My Favorite Bit about The World Awakening at Mary Robinette Kowal’s blog.
- Nine Years A Penmonkey guest post at Chuck Wendig’s Terribleminds.
- Gooey butter cake cookies, a guest recipe on Beth Cato’s Bready Or Not.
- Magic versus Technology guest post at Cat Rambo’s blog.
- Likely Writing Influences, a guest post at Heartfield Fiction.
- Eating Authors guest post at Lawrence M. Schoen’s blog
- My Favorite Bit about The Island Deception at Mary Robinette Kowal’s Blog
- 5 Things I Learned while writing The Rogue Retrieval, at Chuck Wendig’s Terribleminds
- World-building: Seven wonders of Alissia at the Harper Voyager Books blog
- My Favorite Bit about The Rogue Retrieval, at Mary Robinette Kowal’s blog
- 5 Books About Snarky Magicians guest post on Tor.com.
- Writing Standalones Sci-fi, at Michelle Hauck’s blog Michelle4laughs.
- One Mentor’s Journey guest post at Brenda Drake’s blog.
- The Science in SF guest post at Pub Hub
- 5 Geeky Sci-fi Technologies at On Starships and Dragon Wings
- Hard Numbers from PitMad on Brenda Drake’s blog.
- What I’m thankful for on Brenda Drake’s blog.
- Getting the call, a guest post on the blog of Michelle Hauck.
- What I learned about writing from bowhunting, for Kate Heartfield’s “Unlikely Influences” series.
- Twitter pitch tips and #SFFpit, a guest post at Sub It Club.
- Writing & publishing a fantasy trilogy on the Beyond the Trope podcast.
- Science and Fiction on the Beyond the Trope podcast.
- Pitching Contests on the Beyond the Trope podcast.
- Writing Book 2 on the Beyond the Trope podcast.
- Interview with Mur Lafferty on the I Should Be Writing podcast.
- Technology and Optimism on The Kingdoms of Evil
- Authorial Self-Indulgence (with Tex Thompson) on The Kingdoms of Evil
- Dragons! (with Tex Thompson) on The Kingdoms of Evil
Writer’s Digest SF/F Conference (July 20-21, 2018)
- Taught a course on science and fiction (researching your writing)
- See the full program.
Las Vegas Writer’s Conference (April 18-21, 2018)
- Research: Putting Science in Fiction (instructor)
- Online Pitching Contests (instructor)
- Author-agent Relationship Panel with Paul Stevens
Wizard World Comic Con (August 2017 in Columbus, OH)
- Modern Mythology and Urban Fantasy: The Magic Today
- How to Get Published, from Concept to Under Contract
- Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Suspense Storytelling
Westerville Public Library (March 2017 in Westerville, OH)
- Fantasy author panel with Laura Bickle, Kelley Grant, and Lucy A. Snyder
World Fantasy (October 2016 in Columbus, OH)
- I Believe I Can Fly with Curtis Craddock, C. E. Cooney, and Alan Smale
- An Aviary of Beasties with Auston Habershaw, E. J. Stevens, Susan Shell Winston, and Rajan Khanna
- How George R. R. Martin Has Changed Fantasy with Ginjer Buchanan, Betsy Dorbush, Christopher Husberg, and Rob Howell
- Read my blog recap.
Archon 39 (October 2015 in St. Louis, MO)
- Technical Tall Tales: Strange and Frightening Tales of the Lab with Jordin Kare, Benjamin Kinney, H. G. Stratmann, and J. D. Streett
- Websites for Writers with Julia Mandala and Guy Anthony De Marco
- Big Things on the Horizon: New Tech and Scientific Discoveries with H.G. Stratmann and Benjamin Kinney
- How Do You Figure That? Scientific Methodologies with Jon Voisey, Jack Glassman, and Michael Benjamin
- The First Five Pages: How to Hook Your Reader with Claire Ashgrove, Shawntelle Madison, and Eddie Wilson
Archon 38 (October 2014 in St. Louis, MO)
- Genetic Engineering: Tinkering with the human body with H.G. Stratmann and Michael Baugh
- Portal Fantasies: Across time or space with G.P. Ching, Mark Tiedemann, and Kasey Mackenzie.
- Publishing in the Digital Age with G.P. Ching and Trudy V. Myers.
Follow me and you'll never miss a post: