Welcome! On this page, you can learn about my upcoming events as well as past appearances.
Here are some of upcoming author events.
- March 27, 2017: Fantasy author panel, Westerville Public Library, Columbus, OH.
- April 11, 2017: Release day for The Island Deception.
Here are events and appearances from the past few months.
- October 27-30, 2016: World Fantasy Convention in Columbus, Ohio. Read my blog recap.
- September 14, 2016: 3 lessons for fiction writers, a guest post at the NaNoWriMo blog.
- May 21, 2016: Radio interview on 97.1 FM NewsTalk in St. Louis for the “Max on Movies” show. Listen online or download the podcast afterward.
- May-June 2016: Author interviewed (twice) at the SF/F writing podcast Beyond the Trope.
- June 2016: Served as a judge for Query Kombat.
- April 30, 2016: Independent Bookstore Day signing at Main Street Books.
- May 1, 2016: Review of The Rogue Retrieval in Galaxy’s Edge Magazine.
Here are some places I’ve appeared (online or in person) in the writing community. See media coverage for a complete list of media mentions and reviews.
I enjoy being interviewed about writing, science/sci-fi, or really anything that tickles someone’s fancy.
- Ask Me Anything (AMA) author discussion on Reddit Fantasy.
- What Books Inspired Us the Most, a multi-author interview hosted by James Aquilone at SF Signal.
- Awesomesauce Author Interview at Dannie Morin’s Left to Write
- Debut Author Interview at the Qwillery
- Disturbing Questions, an interview with A.F.E. Smith
Essays and Articles
I enjoy contributing (paid) articles about genre fiction, the publishing industry, and of course, the science for sci-fi authors.
- We Are All Allies, a post on the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) blog.
- 5 Books About Snarky Magicians guest post on Tor.com.
- Six Quirks of the Human Genome article in Clarkesworld Magazine, issue 110
- Eye-based paternity testing and other human genetics myths in Apex Magazine, issue 72.
- 7 things to know about mutations in Fantasy Scroll Magazine, issue 7
- A whirlwind tour of the human genome in Fantasy Scroll Magazine, issue 8
- The Next Generation of DNA Sequencing in Clarkesworld Magazine, issue 108
I’ve had the privilege to write guest posts for other sites and members of the writing community.
- Cage Match: Bean/Petra vs Alina/Mal at Suvudu.
- 5 Things I Learned at Chuck Wendig’s Terribleminds
- World-building: Seven wonders of Alissia at the Harper Voyager Books blog
- Writing Gender-Swapped SFF, a guest post at The Mary Sue
- My Favorite Bit at Mary Robinette Kowal’s blog
- Writing Standalones Sci-fi, at Michelle Hauck’s blog Michelle4laughs.
- One Mentor’s Journey guest post at Brenda Drake’s blog.
- The Science in SF guest post at Pub Hub
- 5 Geeky Sci-fi Technologies at On Starships and Dragon Wings
- Hard Numbers from PitMad on Brenda Drake’s blog.
- What I’m thankful for on Brenda Drake’s blog.
- Getting the call, a guest post on the blog of Michelle Hauck.
- What I learned about writing from bowhunting, for Kate Heartfield’s “Unlikely Influences” series.
- Twitter pitch tips and #SFFpit, a guest post at Sub It Club.
Daniel Bensen has also been kind enough to invite me onto his “Kingdoms of Evil” podcast to discuss:
- Ep. #59: Pitching Contests
- Ep. #61: Technology and Optimism
- Ep. #79: Querying and Self-Control
- Ep. #80: Being Professional
- Ep. #89: Authorial self-Indulgence (with Tex Thompson)
- Ep. #90: Dragons! (with Tex Thompson)
I’m comfortable at public speaking, and have served in panels about both science and science fiction.
World Fantasy (October 2016 in Columbus, OH)
- I Believe I Can Fly with Curtis Craddock, C. E. Cooney, and Alan Smale
- An Aviary of Beasties with Auston Habershaw, E. J. Stevens, Susan Shell Winston, and Rajan Khanna
- How George R. R. Martin Has Changed Fantasy with Ginjer Buchanan, Betsy Dorbush, Christopher Husberg, and Rob Howell
Archon 39 (October 2015 in St. Louis, MO)
- Technical Tall Tales: Strange and Frightening Tales of the Lab with Jordin Kare, Benjamin Kinney, H. G. Stratmann, and J. D. Streett
- Websites for Writers with Julia Mandala and Guy Anthony De Marco
- Big Things on the Horizon: New Tech and Scientific Discoveries with H.G. Stratmann and Benjamin Kinney
- How Do You Figure That? Scientific Methodologies with Jon Voisey, Jack Glassman, and Michael Benjamin
- The First Five Pages: How to Hook Your Reader with Claire Ashgrove, Shawntelle Madison, and Eddie Wilson
Archon 38 (October 2014 in St. Louis, MO)
- Genetic Engineering: Tinkering with the human body with H.G. Stratmann and Michael Baugh
- Portal Fantasies: Across time or space with G.P. Ching, Mark Tiedemann, and Kasey Mackenzie.
- Publishing in the Digital Age with G.P. Ching and Trudy V. Myers.