Welcome! On this page, you can learn about my upcoming events as well as past appearances.
Here are some of upcoming author events.
- April 10, 2017: Interview at Insecure Writers Support Group
- April 11, 2017: Release day for The Island Deception.
- April 11, 2017: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on Reddit Fantasy
- April 11, 2017: 5 Things About The Island Deception on Chuck Wendig’s Terribleminds
- April 11, 2017: My favorite meal guest post at Lawrence Schoen’s Eating Authors
- April 16, 2017: DNA and human health discussion for #HVsciencefair
- April 18, 2017: My Favorite Bit guest post for Mary Robinette Kowal
- April 29, 2017: Table at The Book Loft for Indie Bookstore Day
Here are events and appearances from the past few months.
- March 27, 2017: Fantasy author panel, Westerville Public Library, Columbus, OH.
- October 27-30, 2016: World Fantasy Convention in Columbus, Ohio. Read my blog recap.
- September 14, 2016: 3 lessons for fiction writers, a guest post at the NaNoWriMo blog.
- May 21, 2016: Radio interview on 97.1 FM NewsTalk in St. Louis for the “Max on Movies” show. You can listen to the podcast.
Here are some places I’ve appeared (online or in person) in the writing community. See media coverage for a complete list of media mentions and reviews.
I enjoy being interviewed about writing, science/sci-fi, or really anything that tickles someone’s fancy.
- Ask Me Anything (AMA) author discussion on Reddit Fantasy.
- What Books Inspired Us the Most, a multi-author interview hosted by James Aquilone at SF Signal.
- Awesomesauce Author Interview at Dannie Morin’s Left to Write
- Debut Author Interview at the Qwillery
- Disturbing Questions, an interview with A.F.E. Smith
Essays and Articles
I enjoy contributing (paid) articles about genre fiction, the publishing industry, and of course, the science for sci-fi authors.
- We Are All Allies, a post on the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) blog.
- 5 Books About Snarky Magicians guest post on Tor.com.
- Six Quirks of the Human Genome article in Clarkesworld Magazine, issue 110
- Eye-based paternity testing and other human genetics myths in Apex Magazine, issue 72.
- 7 things to know about mutations in Fantasy Scroll Magazine, issue 7
- A whirlwind tour of the human genome in Fantasy Scroll Magazine, issue 8
- The Next Generation of DNA Sequencing in Clarkesworld Magazine, issue 108
I’ve had the privilege to write guest posts for other sites and members of the writing community.
- Cage Match: Bean/Petra vs Alina/Mal at Suvudu.
- 5 Things I Learned at Chuck Wendig’s Terribleminds
- World-building: Seven wonders of Alissia at the Harper Voyager Books blog
- Writing Gender-Swapped SFF, a guest post at The Mary Sue
- My Favorite Bit at Mary Robinette Kowal’s blog
- Writing Standalones Sci-fi, at Michelle Hauck’s blog Michelle4laughs.
- One Mentor’s Journey guest post at Brenda Drake’s blog.
- The Science in SF guest post at Pub Hub
- 5 Geeky Sci-fi Technologies at On Starships and Dragon Wings
- Hard Numbers from PitMad on Brenda Drake’s blog.
- What I’m thankful for on Brenda Drake’s blog.
- Getting the call, a guest post on the blog of Michelle Hauck.
- What I learned about writing from bowhunting, for Kate Heartfield’s “Unlikely Influences” series.
- Twitter pitch tips and #SFFpit, a guest post at Sub It Club.
Daniel Bensen has also been kind enough to invite me onto his “Kingdoms of Evil” podcast to discuss:
- Ep. #59: Pitching Contests
- Ep. #61: Technology and Optimism
- Ep. #79: Querying and Self-Control
- Ep. #80: Being Professional
- Ep. #89: Authorial self-Indulgence (with Tex Thompson)
- Ep. #90: Dragons! (with Tex Thompson)
I’m comfortable at public speaking, and have served in panels about both science and science fiction.
World Fantasy (October 2016 in Columbus, OH)
- I Believe I Can Fly with Curtis Craddock, C. E. Cooney, and Alan Smale
- An Aviary of Beasties with Auston Habershaw, E. J. Stevens, Susan Shell Winston, and Rajan Khanna
- How George R. R. Martin Has Changed Fantasy with Ginjer Buchanan, Betsy Dorbush, Christopher Husberg, and Rob Howell
Archon 39 (October 2015 in St. Louis, MO)
- Technical Tall Tales: Strange and Frightening Tales of the Lab with Jordin Kare, Benjamin Kinney, H. G. Stratmann, and J. D. Streett
- Websites for Writers with Julia Mandala and Guy Anthony De Marco
- Big Things on the Horizon: New Tech and Scientific Discoveries with H.G. Stratmann and Benjamin Kinney
- How Do You Figure That? Scientific Methodologies with Jon Voisey, Jack Glassman, and Michael Benjamin
- The First Five Pages: How to Hook Your Reader with Claire Ashgrove, Shawntelle Madison, and Eddie Wilson
Archon 38 (October 2014 in St. Louis, MO)
- Genetic Engineering: Tinkering with the human body with H.G. Stratmann and Michael Baugh
- Portal Fantasies: Across time or space with G.P. Ching, Mark Tiedemann, and Kasey Mackenzie.
- Publishing in the Digital Age with G.P. Ching and Trudy V. Myers.