Welcome! On this page, you can learn about my upcoming events as well as recent past appearances.
Here are some upcoming events and places I’m scheduled to appear, either in person or online.
Putting the Science in Fiction
Top Secret Project
I’m working on a project with Serial Box that I’m not allowed to talk about yet. The anticipated release date is early 2019. Stay tuned.
Here are events and appearances from the past few months.
Writer’s Digest SF/F Conference
I was an instructor for the 4th Annual Writer’s Digest Science Fiction & Fantasy Virtual Conference on July 20-21, 2018, where I taught a course on science and fiction (researching your writing).
Independent Bookstore Day
The The World Awakening came out in print on April 4th, 2018. I had the pleasure of celebrating it at The Book Loft of German Village during Independent Bookstore Day on Saturday, April 28th.
Las Vegas Writer’s Conference
I accepted an invitation from the Henderson Writers Group to teach at the Las Vegas Writer’s Conference April 18-21, 2018. I did a few panels, met some awesome writers, and had an amazing time.
The World Awakening Tour
- The Value of Critique Partners guest post at the NaNoWriMo blog (January 2018).
- Goodreads New February Releases newsletter (January 30, 2018).
- Writing & publishing a fantasy trilogy interview Beyond the Trope podcast (January 30, 2018).
- SFWA New Release Newsletter (February 2, 2018).
- My Favorite Bit guest post at Mary Robinette Kowal’s blog (February 2018).
- Nine Years A Penmonkey guest post at Chuck Wendig’s Terribleminds (February 2018).
- Gooey butter cake cookies, a guest recipe on Beth Cato’s Bready Or Not (February 2018).
- Magic versus Technology guest post at Cat Rambo’s blog (February 2018).
- Likely Writing Influences, a guest post at Heartfield Fiction (February 13, 2018).
- Tips for Writing A Trilogy guest column at Writer’s Digest (February 13, 2018).
If you’d like to host an interview, guest post, or other feature, please contact me!
Other Events and Appearances
- October 11, 2017: Column at Outer Places: How movies get mutation and evolution wrong
- August 29, 2017: Column at Outer Places: How science fiction predicted the future of genetics
- July 2, 2017: Feature article in the Columbus Dispatch
- July 2, 2017: Book signing at The Book Loft of German Village
- June 9, 2017: Interview on books, genetics, & Okja at Outer Places
- April 29, 2017: Table at The Book Loft for Indie Bookstore Day
- April 20, 2017: 5 Things About The Island Deception on Chuck Wendig’s Terribleminds
- April 18, 2017: My Favorite Bit guest post for Mary Robinette Kowal
- April 11, 2017: Release day for The Island Deception.
- April 11, 2017: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on Reddit Fantasy
- April 10, 2017: My favorite meal guest post at Lawrence Schoen’s Eating Authors
- April 10, 2017: The Portal Fantasy Is Not Dead, an essay at the Qwillery
- April 10, 2017: Interview at Insecure Writers Support Group
- March 27, 2017: Fantasy author panel, Westerville Public Library, Columbus, OH.
- October 27-30, 2016: World Fantasy Convention in Columbus, Ohio. Read my blog recap.
Here are some places I’ve appeared (online or in person) in the writing community. See media coverage for my bio, author photos, and writing credits.
I enjoy being interviewed about writing, science/sci-fi, or really anything that tickles someone’s fancy.
- Ask Me Anything (AMA) author discussion on Reddit Fantasy.
- What Books Inspired Us the Most, a multi-author interview hosted by James Aquilone at SF Signal.
- Awesomesauce Author Interview at Dannie Morin’s Left to Write
- Debut Author Interview at the Qwillery
- Disturbing Questions, an interview with A.F.E. Smith
- Radio interview on 97.1 FM NewsTalk in St. Louis for the “Max on Movies” show.
Essays and Articles
I enjoy contributing (paid) articles about genre fiction, the publishing industry, and of course, the science for sci-fi authors.
- Chimeras in science and fiction, a discussion of human-animal chimeras and how we make them, at Baen.com.
- We Are All Allies, a post on the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) blog.
- 3 lessons for fiction writers, a post on the National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) blog
- Writing Gender-Swapped SFF, a guest post at The Mary Sue
- Six Quirks of the Human Genome article in Clarkesworld Magazine, issue 110
- Eye-based paternity testing and other human genetics myths in Apex Magazine, issue 72.
- 7 things to know about mutations in Fantasy Scroll Magazine, issue 7
- A whirlwind tour of the human genome in Fantasy Scroll Magazine, issue 8
- The Next Generation of DNA Sequencing in Clarkesworld Magazine, issue 108
I’ve had the privilege to write guest posts for other sites and members of the writing community.
- 5 Things I Learned while writing The Rogue Retrieval, at Chuck Wendig’s Terribleminds
- World-building: Seven wonders of Alissia at the Harper Voyager Books blog
- My Favorite Bit about The Rogue Retrieval, at Mary Robinette Kowal’s blog
- 5 Books About Snarky Magicians guest post on Tor.com.
- Writing Standalones Sci-fi, at Michelle Hauck’s blog Michelle4laughs.
- One Mentor’s Journey guest post at Brenda Drake’s blog.
- The Science in SF guest post at Pub Hub
- 5 Geeky Sci-fi Technologies at On Starships and Dragon Wings
- Hard Numbers from PitMad on Brenda Drake’s blog.
- What I’m thankful for on Brenda Drake’s blog.
- Getting the call, a guest post on the blog of Michelle Hauck.
- What I learned about writing from bowhunting, for Kate Heartfield’s “Unlikely Influences” series.
- Twitter pitch tips and #SFFpit, a guest post at Sub It Club.
Several podcast hosts have been generous to host me on their shows. Here are some of my recent appearances:
- Science and Fiction on the Beyond the Trope podcast.
- Pitching Contests on the Beyond the Trope podcast.
- Writing Book 2 on the Beyond the Trope podcast.
- Interview with Mur Lafferty on the I Should Be Writing podcast.
- Technology and Optimism on The Kingdoms of Evil
- Authorial Self-Indulgence (with Tex Thompson) on The Kingdoms of Evil
- Dragons! (with Tex Thompson) on The Kingdoms of Evil
I’m comfortable at public speaking, and have served in panels about both science and science fiction.
Wizard World Comic Con (August 4-5, Columbus, OH)
- Modern Mythology and Urban Fantasy: The Magic Today with
- How to Get Published, from Concept to Under Contract with
- Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Suspense Storytelling with
World Fantasy (October 2016 in Columbus, OH)
- I Believe I Can Fly with Curtis Craddock, C. E. Cooney, and Alan Smale
- An Aviary of Beasties with Auston Habershaw, E. J. Stevens, Susan Shell Winston, and Rajan Khanna
- How George R. R. Martin Has Changed Fantasy with Ginjer Buchanan, Betsy Dorbush, Christopher Husberg, and Rob Howell
- Read my blog recap.
Archon 39 (October 2015 in St. Louis, MO)
- Technical Tall Tales: Strange and Frightening Tales of the Lab with Jordin Kare, Benjamin Kinney, H. G. Stratmann, and J. D. Streett
- Websites for Writers with Julia Mandala and Guy Anthony De Marco
- Big Things on the Horizon: New Tech and Scientific Discoveries with H.G. Stratmann and Benjamin Kinney
- How Do You Figure That? Scientific Methodologies with Jon Voisey, Jack Glassman, and Michael Benjamin
- The First Five Pages: How to Hook Your Reader with Claire Ashgrove, Shawntelle Madison, and Eddie Wilson
Archon 38 (October 2014 in St. Louis, MO)
- Genetic Engineering: Tinkering with the human body with H.G. Stratmann and Michael Baugh
- Portal Fantasies: Across time or space with G.P. Ching, Mark Tiedemann, and Kasey Mackenzie.
- Publishing in the Digital Age with G.P. Ching and Trudy V. Myers.
Follow me and you'll never miss a post: